Grass-fed Meatballs and Whole Wheat Fusilli
1/2 lb. whole wheat fusilli
2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 lb. grass fed ground beef
1-2 Tbsp. parmesan, grated
1 tsp. Italian seasonings (thyme, basil, marjoram, rosemary)
1 Tbsp. whole bread crumbs, optional
1 egg, optional
1 cup organic store-bought tomato sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Prepare pasta according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium skillet set over medium heat, heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil and add the onion and garlic. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the beef, cheese, seasonings and breadcrumbs and egg (if using). Add the onions. Using your hands, shape the meatballs into 1-inch rounds. In a medium skillet set over medium heat, add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Add the meatballs and cook, turning, until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes.
4. Drain excess oil and add tomato sauce, reduce heat and bring to a simmer for an additional 5 to 10 minutes, until meatballs are cooked through.
5. Remove from heat. Serve meatballs with pasta and garnish with additional Parmesan, if desired. Serve with steamed broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots.